Which Diet is Right for You?

Which Diet is Right for You?

Determining the best diet for optimal health can be confusing these days.  With so much information available and multiple opposing opinions, it can be difficult to know what to believe. 

 For most of my life, diet issues were not on my radar.  I was eating the standard American diet (with the exclusion of certain foods such as pork and shellfish) without apparent issues.  I was at a normal weight and with no major health conditions.  It wasn’t until my 30s that poor diet choices plus lack of attention to gut health began to catch up to me.

Realizing that I wasn’t feeling my best, I began the search for the right diet for me. 

After spending much time reading books and listing to several diet influencers, I was convinced that the high carb low fat lifestyle was the way to go and began implementing it.  However, gut issues, fatigue, and now joint pain remained a continuous problem.  Yet, I stuck with this diet for years.

I had forgotten an important concept.  Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.”  1 Thessalonians 5:21.    

Were there things about the high carb low fat diet that were good for me?  Yes, for example the abundance of fiber rich foods. I also do much better on a plant-based diet. Were there things about this diet that did not work well for me?  Yes, the low fat approach.  It wasn’t until I experimented with other diets that I realized my body does better with I consume more fat...healthy fats such as avocado, coconut, olives, nuts & seeds.

I even experimented with a ketotarian type diet. Surprise, I felt great!  

No blood sugar swings, I wasn’t hungry between meals, and my joint pain even began to decrease.  Now, this wasn’t the bacon and butter keto, but the avocado, nuts, seeds & greens keto.  However, though I was starting to feel better, I knew that for me, this diet wasn’t sustainable. I did not enjoy limiting certain foods such as fruits and pretty much eliminating healthy whole grains such as oats and brown rice.

So here I was caught between the worlds of abundant fruits and grains vs. fats and greens.

Another Perspective on Fat.

As a believer that God designed my body and knows what is best for it, I was happy to come across Dr. Barbra O’Neil, who presents a slightly different perspective than most plant-based physicians.
I realized that I could incorporate the dietary principals given to us in Genesis 1:29, and still provide my body with the amounts of carbs, protein, and fat that were right for my body.

Here is one video where Dr. O'Neil discusses the importance of fat in the body.  


Through trial and error, I am figuring out the optimal ratio of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats for me.  

So, which diet is right for you?  

Only you can determine that. 

We are all different in the way we metabolize foods and our underlying health issues.







Eat real food and listen to your body. Experiment on yourself to find out what works best in terms of macronutrient ratios. Avoid process foods, foods you know you react negatively too, and genetically modified foods. If you are in the midst of a troubling health issue, trust in God to guide you through your journey to optimal health and healing.

Popular Posts