Money Saving Health Tip
Sometimes when at the grocery store, making the
decision between organic and conventional produce can be challenging. This is
especially true when trying to stay within a budget. Many people shy away from the organic produce
section because they believe the prices are too high.
Is organic necessary?
I prefer to eat organic fruits and vegetables whenever
possible. Organic foods simply contain fewer toxic materials. Pesticides and herbicides used in conventional farming are essentially poisons used to kill pests and unwanted plants. I want to put foods in my body that are as close to how God intended us to use them as possible for optimal health. That being said, there are times when I am not able to purchase organic produce due to availability or price. I'd like to share 3 tips that can help to increase the amount of organic produce we consume:
Tip #1:
This tip I learned from a total stranger while
browsing through the leafy greens section at a local health food store. I’m not sure why I didn’t think of it earlier... I hope you find this
tip useful in increasing the amount of organic greens you include in your diet:
When produce is nearing its use by date, many stores will mark down the price dramatically to get it sold
quickly. These organic greens were on
sale for only 0.99 cents a container (normally $3.99). I bought 8 containers for a savings of $24.
Be sure to check the packages carefully to make sure you do not
see any wilted greens. If not, scoop
them up, take them home, and freeze them immediately.
These greens were portioned out into single use
baggies.
There are so many uses for them:
- The spinach can be used for any dish where you would normally use frozen spinach.
- You can put them in green smoothies
- Add them to soups
- Add them to stir-frys
Tip #2:
Grow your own food!!! When you plant it and grow it, you know exactly what is on it. Even if you do not have space for a large garden, you can grow a small one, grow small items in pots on the porch or even grow sprouts on your kitchen counter. Any bit you grow yourself saves you money.
Tip # 3:
If you are lucky enough to live near a wholesale
produce terminal or farmer’s market, you can find many deals on organic fruits
and vegetables. This video contains some
practical information on organic vs. conventional produce and how we can use
our judgment when shopping and save money.
What we put into our bodies DOES MATTER.
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price:
therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. I Corinthians 6:19-20
Put the best, most nutritious
food into your body. Grow as much of your own food as you can. Trust that God
will bless what you have, and when organic is not possible do not stress about it.
When you are not able to buy organically, be sure to wash the produce very carefully. (I've used soap & water, vinegar & water, and lemon essential oil & water solutions). Also peel items with a peel such as cucumbers. I also refer to the dirty dozen, clean 15 as a guide.
.jpeg)
.jpeg)